Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Why aren't you following your dreams?

My mom often tells people that I'm missing a common gene that everyone else has - the gene to think before you leap. She doesn't understand how I keep starting businesses without being fearful of the risks involved. When I get a new idea for a business it starts welling up inside of me. It's like this creative frenzy of energy that just keeps swirling around and around waiting for me to do something about it. I often get agitated in the sense that I can't keep my focus on anything except for things pertaining to this new idea or thought until I take action.

With Oliver Grace Cookie Business this energy consumed me until I baked a huge platter of my peanut butter cookies and brought them down to the Muddy River in Eliot, Maine. From there I found myself baking around the clock for professionals and catered events. My cookies were even sold at Flo's Hot Dogs in Cape Neddick, Maine. The only way I can describe this energy I get is like a static sensation that starts in my heart and shoots out to my arms and legs. Call me crazy but it has been happening to me since I was little. My mom remembers the time I organized a carnival for MD in Spofford, New Hampshire. I had organized a whole slew of activities and white elephant tables for our small village population under 1000 people. I think the event raised $62.00.

The Little Hat Company came about with the same type of frenzy. I was tired, frustrated, and cranky. I wanted a very specific sun hat for my new baby Elizabeth and I wasn't finding it. I pulled into Joanne Fabric's and the rest is history.

People often tell me about their dreams of starting a business or venture and they get this glimmer in their eyes, just like a child and then they talk to me about all the reasons of why they can't do it now. I get it. It's hard to put what you know on hold and to embrace a future with millions and zillions of possible outcomes. But here's the thing and I feel as though I can speak honestly about this because I am in the middle of what people would not think as a positive outcome.

EVERY outcome is good. If you put yourself out there and begin planting seeds for your dream then everything that happens to you and around you is a gift. This was a hard thing to realize and to own at first. When The Little Hat Company was taking off at light speed, we were riding this unbelievable high. We felt like teenagers - no mortality. We thought we could take on anything. Looking back there was little that we were learning about ourselves and our business, we were in the accepting phase. Which is good. It lead us on some amazing journeys. Being open to gifts and opportunities that come your way put you where you need to be. It also puts you in touch with some of the most amazing people on this planet. Always be open to opportunity and what is brought to you - learn to embrace yes.

When challenges come and they will come realize that this struggle is where you will learn the most about yourself and your business. It will also let you know who you work the best with and the level of trust that you will build when working with someone through a difficult situation is indescribable.

One thing that I learned is that it is so important to have a game plan from the beginning. Not necessarily a business plan (although you'll need that too) but a game plan stating what you are expecting to accomplish or gain from putting yourself out there while you build a new business or venture. State it in plain English, "What am I expecting to get out of this adventure and more importantly what am I willing to give up and give out"

You are given your dreams for a reason. The scary part is that you may never know the real reason for your gifts. You could possibly be affecting people in ways that you will never find out about. That is okay! If you follow your dreams and use your gifts and talents in doing so - anything is possible and you will be okay. You will be better than okay you will be satisfied to know that at the end of the day you left nothing on the table. You took up your own destiny with both hands and said "Yes". Own your dreams and follow your destiny - you will know when you are on the right path. You will have a sense of clarity and ease and things will come out of the blue when you need them.

Road blocks and hurdles are put in front of us for a reason. Sometimes we are meant to jump over and others it's time to take another path. Just keep moving towards your dream even when its not so much fun.

1 comment:

  1. Jen, I think I am your first comment!

    I look forward to following you on this blog, mostly because I admire you and your enthusiastic spirit so much, and I am baffled at what went wrong with LHC because you always radiated such positive energy. It's silly to assume that you were always so positive because things were always going so well. But now I only realize how something that appears as something on the outside isn't necessarily so.

    I'm a huge fan of starting over when something isn't working, or isn't turning out as you thought it would. I have had at least 5 different attempts at self-employment since having kids and wanting to stay home. Life is a journey. Nothing is forever. When one door closes another opens. And all that jazz!

    I can't wait to keep reading. Whatever you do you are an amazing person and I can't wait to feel that radiant energy again next time I bump into you!

    (But I will REALLY miss LHC at the upcoming holiday parade and home for the holidays stroll!)

    ReplyDelete