Monday, December 21, 2009

Commando Crawling


Two summers ago, Libs broke her arm and we had a waterproof cast put on her little wing. She was all of two years old and ready to take on the world. We were devastated to find out she had indeed broken her elbow and felt horrible. We knew what obstacles laid ahead for her during the summer with her new cast. She on the other hand had no idea that it could have been a major set back for her.

When we are ignorant of our situation that lies just ahead it is much easier for us to leave fear at the door. It is with a much lighter heart that when faced with an everyday challenge we will find a smooth way around the obstacle when we are blind to the fact that it is only the tip of the iceberg. I remember this day at the beach. The sky was bright blue and clear and the tide pools left behind were warm and filled with marvelous creatures. Anna had found the hugest snail I had ever seen, almost prehistoric in nature.



Libs played up to the older children and delighted in splashing in the pools and when she needed a closer look got down on her belly and used the weight of her cast in a comando crawl movement to pull her through the shallow waters. She used her cast as a leverage and never once considered it a hindrance.

That day with our two families will go down in my book as one of the most peaceful enjoyable days at the beach that I've ever experienced. It also sets itself apart as a huge life lesson to me. Next time I find myself in unfamiliar territory, faced with a new challenge or obstacle I'm going to try to stay open to the experience rather than closing up like a clam bracing myself for a typhoon that may never come.

No comments:

Post a Comment