Sunday, December 6, 2009

Everyday

There is something maddening about everyday if you stop and allow yourself to think about it for too long. For me not being the greatest housekeeper in the world I find myself thinking about the things that I should be doing everyday in my house: laundry, floors, dishes, beds, meals, yard work, etc...all the absolutely mundane items that just don't do it for me. It gets worse when I think about them not being done every single day like they are "supposed" to be.

Then I look at my son who is 15 and realize that helping him brush his teeth everyday and reading with him everyday before bed is really not as long as I once thought it was. And now as Anna is getting older and wants to do her own her and pick out her own clothes, everyday is slipping away even faster than it did with Aaron. For me having my children so spread out entitles me to a sigh of relief when I know that Lib still needs me for most of her routine everyday. Somehow today I was able to catch up on housework and as I sit here typing I'm not feeling the guilt of an untidy house. The dishes are away, the laundry is spinning in the dryer, and the vacuum cleaner actually made an appearance.

Life provides us with many little hiccups to carry us through the everyday. It takes the focus off the mundane just in the nick of time when we are feeling as though we can't endure it any longer. For me this is all new. I'm used to running at 150 miles trying to balance a growing business, three children and their activities, meals, household, and gardens. Everyday actually seems kind of unique to me right now and I'm feeling good about growing some roots and settling in for a while. All of the Christmas ornaments made their way up from the basement and our traditional second tree has once again appeared due to the loss of the store at Christmas Time.

There is something inside of me that knows this is not going to be my life forever. I know that there will be another business in the future that will more likely than not bring the fast paced, break neck speed that we endured and relished for the past four years but for now it is awful nice sitting here typing at 9:00 pm in my fuzzy pants and not worrying about payroll, production, budget, or marketing while making sure my kids have what they need from me. I always know when my new ventures are just around the corner. I get very antsy and look for it everywhere I go and in everyone I meet. It's peaceful knowing that we already have our team established and we're just kind of riding it out until the perfect wave comes along and our kids get just a little bit older.

Everyday I will try to enjoy where I am when I am knowing that something will come along and break up the repetitive rhythm.

No comments:

Post a Comment