Saturday, June 12, 2010

An inspiring project from Dr. Wayne Dyer - Day 1

I visited our library yesterday to return some of Libby's books and a book by Dr. Dyer caught my eye. I had no intention of checking out a book but was drawn to the title and without thought brought it to the counter. As I read the introduction this morning I felt compelled to turn it into a writing aspect and share it with myself as sort of a gift, a reprieve from the changes occurring in my life and to approach it as a project. Dr. Dyer has included 60 writings from some of the history's greatest teachers and he asks us to read one a day and try to reflect and then integrate into our daily being. Why not and so here is day 1 and how I am reflecting on what I will read and then sharing with those around me.


Meditation

Dr. Dyer quotes two of our greatest mathematical minds of all humanity: Pythagoras and Blaise Pascal.

"Learn to be silent.
Let your
quiet mind
listen and absorb." Pythagoras

"All man's miseries derive from not being able to sit quietly in a room alone" Blaise Pascal


So now for how to incorporate this into my life today and here after. Dr. Dyer speaks to how each of us has 60,000 rapid firing thoughts each and everyday and how most often from day to day it is the same exact thoughts repeating themselves and leaving no room for personal or spiritual growth. The following are my thoughts and ideas only...our opinions are never wrong and your truth may be entirely different but always just as valuable.

Silence with three children seems to be incompatible but in reading Dr. Dyer's thoughts and studying the two quotes above there seems to be an undeniable truth to what it shares. If I let my mind and thoughts take control of me I can create scenarios for every possible outcome in a mere flash. I can devise plans of paranoia that go unmatched and instantly feel as though the whole town disapproves of my intent without even knowing if they have given it a second thought. So as I type this listening to the chatter of my two girls in the background and the youtube video Steph sent to me I am feeling a need to sit in silence and to discover what exists within its boundaries. My thought is that its 11:00 and I still haven't taken my morning shower and that is a perfect opportunity for me to escape and have a little date with silence. I'm going to open my mind and heart and let go of my fears of what it will bring up for me. I am going to say outloud that I want to break past patterns of behaviors and thoughts and reach for something closer to God and what he intends for my life. I'll let you know how it goes for now my Princess Libby is demanding a bowl of cereal.

....so a fresh shower later and new demands from the girls and needing to pick up Aaron from Legion I realize there is a time and place for everything and somehow, somewhere balance needs to enter into this equation. For now under Dr. Dyer's advice, I am going to focus on my breathing in and out throughout the day and listening to my body and mind and being aware of where one ends and one begins. I'll let you know how it all turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment