Wednesday, June 2, 2010

It's what's inside that counts.

We all have something inside of us that is tearing to get out into the sunshine. For some it's a dream, goal, or activity that we have an desire to accomplish or achieve, for others its a way of being that we long to be a part of in life. When I was younger I always envisioned myself as an outdoor adventurist, traveling around the world, finding new places to explore and feeling freer than any bird could be. I had a desire to mountain climb, kayak, ski, surf, and hang glide but my life as a child never lined up with what was inside longing to come out. Somewhere along the way I felt as though I didn't deserve to be that person as if I wasn't good enough or life hadn't dealt me the hands that would allow me those experiences. It felt as though they have always just been out of reach because of monetary or geographic reasons. I also always loved writing and sharing stories with people just about anything.

I'm at a major crossroads in my life and have some pretty big decisions and choices in front of me and its time to revisit those old desires. A friend shared with me recently that life isn't about a dress rehearsal...it's the real deal and it's how we embrace that fact that will empower the choices we make for ourselves. I thought that I had grown up a lot emotionally and had learned a lot about who I really am as a person but as I have these decisions in front of me I am allowing myself to fall back comfortably into old fear patterns caring what other people may think of me and following their idea of what my life should be rather than my own. The new decision is always the unknown, it is uncharted territory and that alone can create a fear factory. I guess its all about deciding whether or not you are going to choose to make decisions for your life based out of love for yourself or fear of what may or may not happen to you in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment